Friday, July 15, 2011

I LOATHE needles now!

My arm after two sticks.
First off I should start by saying, I didn't used to have a problem giving blood or with needles at all....that is until I was subjected to the three hour glucose testing on Thursday.

It all began with a failed one hour glucose testing on Tuesday. My "magic" number to not go over was 140....well I went over...by a little 149. So that ensured me a spot at the clinic to have my blood drawn several times over the course of three hours! WHOO HOO! (Insert sarcasm here.)

So...Thursday morning I rolled out of bed armed with my Nook and headphones for my phone and drove to the clinic. The poking and prodding began at 8:04. They had to take my blood when I got there to have a baseline to compare the rest of my results to. They continued to take my blood every hour...exactly (9:04, 10:04, and 11:04) over the next three hours. After the first time, I was dizzy, nauseated, and sleepy. In short, I was MISERABLE! By the third time, I was just sleepy...and ready for it to be OVER! Although I know that this all for a good cause and to make sure that everything is A-OK. However, I don't think pregnant, hormonal women should be subjected to this. I just wanted to cry....again hormones played a huge factor in that.

After what felt like an eternity, I was done and able to leave. I drove to my Mimi's house (which is very close to the clinic) where she prepared breakfast for me. :) This made for one happy momma to be able to eat!!!! I then proceeded to take myself a two hour nap as having your blood drawn for three hours is EXHAUSTING!

We should have results back from the test early next week. I am hoping for great results as I really do know want to have to deal with what comes with gestational diabetes (i.e. The fear of a 16 pound baby like the woman in Longview! YIKES! I am already terrified that I will have a large baby!). Please pray for the best of results! Please and thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment